View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #50
badmaninc
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
To me it would be the reason why people need to fake or be a wannabe. Most of the time it is about money and the worst people who make it alright for people to fake are other ndns. I know a non-ndn who carves on wood and silver. He can't make any money on his own but pays some ndn to go into the art gallery or set up at Native Art show and sell the stuff as their own. The ndn selling it gets a small amount of money and gets recognition for doing next to nothing. The non-ndn gets more money for his artwork than he would if he sold it in his name. Does that bother me yes but then I am not like the ndn who has no skills to do anything, no prospect of getting a job; he exists on welfare for whatever reason. Do I hate this ndn, no but I don't approve of him selling his soul for a few shillings. The complexion challenged person is only trying to make money for himself. Who is at fault. I also don't like ndns who are not from our territory selling their artwork as coastal art. They are from somewhere else than the coast. I have told one guy that he isn't making Haida art; it may be Haida style but he isn't Haida. The reason is these individuals don't know anything about our culture or heritage yet they are able to make ****loads of money, and I do mean a lot. It would like me going to another part of the country and saying that I was from there to make money. As an example, I know of somebody who was commissioned to make a 20' totem and he is making $800.00 per foot. He is selling it as Coast Salish Art and he is from Saskatchewan. I have a problem with that. They undercut some real good artists who are actually from my terrritory. One of my cousins gets between $1,500.00 and 1,800.00 per foot. He was born and raised in our land; he was trained by a well known artist. He lives on one of the local rez's and he also teaches some of our youth to do art. He charges so much a foot because he guarantees that the art is 100% Coast Salish art. So sometimes, it bothers me if somebody is a fake or wannabe.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook