View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
between2worlds
Great Uncle Patrick

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Good articles, Josiah!

Fills in some blanks for me - like where cracking and boiling the bones for soup or stew stock came from (and why people look at me weird when I write out an asked for recipe for the soup or stew they just ate and they come to the "take 3 or 4 large [whatever meat] bones, crack them open and throw them in the stock"), the saving of all sorts of fats, mixing meat and fruit (especially berries) together, liking to eat various organ meats, why I had to eat so blinking much fish when I was a kid and the weird bias I have about not drinking plain water (makes me choke) - there has to be something in there, even if it's just a handful of sumac berries and a small touch of maple syrup.

The part that made me chuckle was this one:

So the formula for good health in the modern age begins with the products of "a fine dairy herd"—whole, raw, unprocessed milk from cows that eat green grass, a highly nutritious substitute for guts and grease and one that every child can enjoy, even native American children who are supposedly lactose intolerant.

I -am- a lactose intolerant *adult*. I wasn't as a child. Didn't start for me until age 25 or so. Milk (and later many milk products) now does evil things in my digestive system UNLESS it's had the lactose more fully broken down by bacteria like yogurt (the real kind not the "kind of looks like/smells like/tastes like" chemical brew that some brands are), hard/sharp cheeses or milk that has been scalded long enough. Speaking of which I tried a Salvadoran cultured sour cream this past weekend that seems to be safe (at least in small quantities).

Exercise has been my 5 year problem - being on wheels has definitely limited what I can do. I'm getting better about skipping the "civilized food" and eating more like how my grandparents did when we all lived together. Some things I can't get - real ojib wild rice or I can't get to - like cattail pollen, flowers and roots.

I will say that up until 5 years ago I was only about 10 lbs heavier than I was in high school. But that was from exercise more than from eating or not eating certain things. I walked -every where-, walking was something I did for the pleasure of it. At one point my wife calculated that walking the dog twice a day added up to at least 10 miles.

Now is not so good. Uncle "Arthy" has ground up my knees and he's working on my hands, neck and right shoulder and I don't know which one he'll finish with first.

Last edited by between2worlds; 01-28-2008 at 09:04 PM..
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook