View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
RDNKJ
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This has always been a pet peave of mine. Schools are always whining about their lack of resources and all the things they have to do, yet they have the time and money to harrass students over the length of their hair.

Here's a newsflash for the school districts: Long hair on boys stopped being distracting way back in the early 1960's! My brothers and I were in school back during those early "hair wars." By the time I reached high school (Oklahoma public school), the administration had given up. The dress code for boys became basically:

1. Hair had to be clean and groomed (combed/brushed); no restriction on length.
2. No shorts.
3. No sleeveless shirts or half-shirts.
4. No "open" shoes (sandals, flip-flops and the like).
5. Slogans on t-shirts could not advertise or condone anything illegal. So no beer logos, no tobacco product logos, and no marijuana leaves.

For the times, that always seemed pretty reasonable to me. I have never understood why it is anyone's business how someone else wears their hair, whether it is for religious reasons or for simple aesthetics.

As an interesting aside, back in the day neither President Bush's nor Governor Rick Perry's (aka Governor Good Hair) hair would've passed muster with the dress code. They both would've been sent home to get cleaned up and not look like "hippies"!
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook