View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #32
luvstraightdancrs
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanasnagu View Post
Luvs, you know I can't agree with you more. I sit back and watch these contemporary straight dancers and scratch my head. We've had our straight dance forever and hold it in the highest esteem, including the men that keep our dances and drums in place without much change.

What is the deal with an otter cap/roach combo and bear claw necklaces? It seems to be all about the money, the contest, the latest fashion statement. These guys need to get back to their tribal dances and back to basics, be humble. The problem is they don't. They are on the powwow trail and just out to "out do" each other. Where I come from, not just anyone can wear the bear claw or otter cap. I think that is what is so offensive and annoying. I'm all for encouraging young people to be dressed and dance, but please uphold our old ways and don't put your wallet in front of respect and what is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADcRezFamily View Post
Ivan& Luv:

Well freakin' said! Do what you do, but don't put that almighty dollar before being respectful and humble. Personally(just what I decided) thats why I don't contest.
Thanks to both of you...was beginning to think I was part of a dying breed. But we have to take what Osagesooner and Uppit are saying into play as well. I know both of these men and they are VERY ACTIVE in their own tribal man dances. Both have served as tail dancers and you see them most all of the man dances in Oklahoma, and even some out of state.

I know my husband comes from a family of man dancers, his late father was asked to revive theirs some 50 years ago. So before anyone goes further with the "only this tribe" can have this dance.....think again. Some of the younger ones need to think before speaking their piece....maybe he missed that chapter in talking with one of his late grandpas or "teachers".
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook