View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
WhoMe
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS View Post
We had a thread started some time ago that talked about how young singers these days have taken over the Center Drum. This got me to thinking about the song selections used.

I wonder just how common are "new standby's" in your area? And since I've posted this question, I reckon I might wanna put a tag on the coin "new". I guess it's all relative in my opinion, but lets just say the last 10-15 years?

In Oklahoma, it is dependent on who the head singer is and his help. In Pawnee and White Eagle for example, I always expect to hear traditional songs sung in the respective Pawnee and Ponca languages.

This summer, I sang at the center drum with head singers over 65. The majority of songs they sang were more tribal specific and older.

If a younger head singer is leading, then he usually brings singers from his drum group to help and you will hear mostly songs from their drum.

When you go to the larger mega powwows and there is a drum contest, expect all the newer, drum specific songs to be sung.

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-22-2008 at 10:43 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook