View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
legalstraight
its to cold up here

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I understand what you say about the kiddie table.

I think it may kinda depend on where you go. Urban areas or big inter-tribal powwos I think tend to have more recent songs than when you are at a powwow put on by one tribe. Fewer people speak the languages, and you have drums that are made up of multiple tribes.

I can think of a couple of prime examples of songs that aren't sung that often in inter-tribal company, mostly because they speak about the attributes of members of another tribe.

At the same time though I have seen drums that sing maybe 75% 'new stuff' (as in the person who composed the song is still alive) but the rest of their songs are oooollllddddd (like so old elders come up and say "I haven't heard that song since I was little).

Some of the new songs are good- I know one drum that has a fantastic P.O.W./M.I.A. song that was composed by them. Other times, it sounds like the second day of '49ing.

And I have seen at least a half dozen head singers younger than me, and I ain't got no grey yet and my pot belly is still smaller than the tire on my car. And those guys were goood.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook