View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #33
CHEROSAGE
cherosage

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I've been sitting back and watching/reading these things everyone is saying. I've danced our dance with my friend Osagesooner many times as well as most of these other Gentlemen. I am not an expert by no means. I am not flashy and I don't dress flashy. I do dress well, but not to bring tooo much notice to myself. Our ways are important to us in our Ceremonial world. We must remember that a Powwow is not an Inlonshka/Heluska/Irushka/etc..

I have seen many people receive the honor of wearing a Roach and Eagle feather. I have Roached both of my sons. My Father Roached me and so on. I have even been asked to help Roach. This is an honor that a young man or older man does not soon forget. Again Powwows are not Ceremonials. We must remember that many Powwows do incorporate Ceremonial aspects BUT are not Ceremonials in totality. Many folks try to keep some kind of control on these Powwows so not to get tooooo out of hand. In each part of the United States those local Peoples(Tribes/Nations) normally dictate the norms for the Powwow in that locality. I know many families in the OK/MO/KS area and who they represent. Another thing that needs to be remembered is that many of us (myself included) are of multi-nationalities. We aren't just Osage, Ponca, Kaw, Cherokee, Kiowa, Omaha,,,,,,,,.

I have seen this Turbin/Roach combo on some elders and younger dancers. It has been quite a while ago and I think they were Sauk/Fox, and or Shawnee. This thing about who has rights or not is not for me to say. I know that I do not wear my Otter Turbin during our dance in Pawhuska, I wear one of my Roaches.

Just some of my thoughts on this matter, thank you for allowing me to say these things.