Thread: 2008 Morongo
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #113
skybird5
sentient being

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
skybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
Tabulation Error, might not be the right term. Maybe registration error is more correct. When she registered in the second category, someone, including her and her family should have notified the regration people so they could remove her from the other category.

And if there were only 5 dancers registered in the other category, she technically is the 5th place dancer. (even with zero points earned.)

This is just one of those things. If I was working the registration and don't know the girl or her family, I can see this happening. Especially for kids, because it is normal for parents to register thier kids. So I would not know who is who's parents. Trust me this happens alot. A kid will register. Then later the parent come to register everyone in his/her family.

That's correct. There was no tabulation error. I didn't really feel like I had to justify LAOKIE's fake complaints about my tabulating, since I knew I didn't make a mistake. There were only 5 dancers in that category when Alendra first registered, then she Re-registered a second time with a different name, she placed 5th by default, yes she had NO contest points, but in the childrens categories some dancers NEVER get contest points and they still place. And since I tabulate using only DANCERS NUMBERS and not their names, I had no idea it was the same person. And I dont know the girl or her family or her nickname, no one in tabulation or registration does, so how would we know that she registered twice. Had she just come up to registration and said, Someone registered me in cloth, I should be in buckskin, we would have changed it.

It comes down to dancers and pow wow participants needing to be honest about their ages, names and categories when they are dancing. We do the tabulating for the contests, but we end up spending a lot of time trying to solve issues where dancers are doing everything they can to make the most money. Believe it or not, we're working FOR The dancers, not against them.

We've implemented a great point system, which virtually eliminates ties, we video tape grand entrys in case we miss a number or a dancer disputes their points, we go back and double check and ask dancers if we think something is off. As far as I know, we are the only tabulation team that works that hard FOR the dancers. We are in the background, talking to the head staff, about contesting that third time, whether to exhibition the dancers for points, how many judges to use, etc. And as everyone knows, our books are wide open for all participants to check after EVERY powwow, with no protest fees EVER. We encourage participants to come look at the points, to get an idea of where they stood and how we added up the points.

THANK YOU to everyone for you unwavering support of me and my team. And I live in AZ-it's HOT, we live in SHORTS almost 9 months of the year. I'll keep wearing them!!! See you all at San Manuel, come say HI, just look for the short shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skybird5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook