View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
legalstraight
its to cold up here

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Ned,

I tried that. I was head singer at a large summer community powwow. I was instructed by the powwow committee that their powwow would be run old skool and let everyone enjoy themselves. So I after the flag song, I instructed the arena director to tell the dancers to just sit down, like they used to do.

A veteran, who recently started dancing, went to the announcer and said I was disrespecting the veteran's by not having a victory song for them to dance out.

Rather, that cause a rucus, I started a victory song for them to post the flags.

So much for old skool............

Where was this at?
Could have been a Northern fella- they expect a vets song right after the flag. I don't know why they do it that way, but they do, and they will get steamed. Pity for the Southern AD or drum who gets cornered by a mob of angry vets.
This fits in well with the thread question though-
Is this a Northern or Southern Pow-wow? I have seen (and been in) some conflicts that result from Northern organizations hiring Southern singers, or Southern ADs or Emcees, and vice versa.

Either way, committee sets basic schedule- i.e. GE at this time, dinner at this time, and so forth.
If there are timing issues with the committee- i.e. we need to do a give away at 3:30 because that is when someone is here to cover, or we need to have all the contest done by 8:30 so we can tabulate, then it falls to the AD to try and make that happen.
Yes, if you have a center drum they should have some say so, but it is not outright control- no offense meant to the honor of the position or our head singers, but those guys are stuck in the middle and so may not be aware of other things going on.
The Emcee does have some input- after all those guys are the entertainers and for small pow-wows they can read the crowd better than most and can tell you- "Hey you got some potatos, we need to do something to get these people out here" or
Ideally your drum, AD, and Emcee are all working together. I know there have been times when I was working as AD that I was so busy working out this or that that specials would have gotten skipped if I hadn't talked over everything with the Emcee and the drum.
With everything working together your head staff should also be included- I can think of at least one instance where the AD, drum, and emcee wanted to do a particular dance and when it got called one of the heads walked up and said they couldn't do it.

This all gets worse when you are bringing in folks from outside of your area. While we all have basic protocol- whether it be Northern or Southern- but it varies somewhat- When do the flags have to be taken out, and how? Do we do exhibitions? Men on the outside or in for round dance? How many guys have to be at a drum for them to get paid? I can think of a bunch of others too, where the local folks will get steamed cause you aren't following tradition, even though to you everything is 100% A OK.
So I say a meeting of the minds is required- the committee needs to designate one person to take the heat of making sudden decisions (that dont involve finances) and that person should stay where they can talk to the drum, AD, or emcee. Better yet, ask someone on the committee to be the AD- gives the AD even more authority and if they aren't judging the contest them being local is only an advantage as far as I am concerned.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook