View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Yote,

In my travels to nuuurthern powwows, I 'used to see' the emcee directing the flow of the powwow. In more recent years, I have seen the arena director gaining more status in the flow of things.

At southern powwows, I used to see the emcee ask the head singer in the center drum what to do next. In more recent times the emcee asks the arena director for a "high sign" on what to do.

In both cases the committee gives a general outline and expects the emcee and arena director to work together to run the powwow smoothly.

Every once in a while you get an arena director and emcee with strong personalities that when pitted against one another, can cause behind the scenes conflicts.

___

Ned and legal,

The powwow I spoke of was in Oklahoma City (Indian Hills). My job as head singer was to cooperate with the wishes of the committee. The veteran was not on the committee. However in the spirit of cooperation, I certainly did not want to offend anyone. The veteran in question was a 'southern' Northern traditional dancer who has not been dancing in the arena long enough to remember that at one time a series of veterans songs were sung at the end of southern style powwows. This was something I fully intended to do since I was told to run the drum 'old skool."

_____

legal,

I agree with your statement about bringing in outsiders to run your powwow. Especially if they have not been in that area before.

I recently emceed a powwow in a new area. I have a good basic understanding of how to run a powwow. The powwow committee did not give me any instructions whatsoever. As a result I ended up publically apologizing for not knowing the protocol of that particular powwow.

One of the main protocols I inadvertly overlooked at this powwow was after the flag song, I didn't invite all the non Indian veterans into the arena and call for a veteran's song to post the flags.

Instead I called for a victory song to post the colors - which was a veterans song. The eagle staff carrier and color guard didn't do anything but stare at me during the song.

After the victory song, the arena director went to the color guard and they told them to tell me that they wanted a veterans song to post the colors and that I should have invited all the veteran's to dance.

Hmmmm????

I thought everyone knew that the victory song was used to bring the eagle staff forward, including the color guard and veteran.

Again when in Rome.......
We saw the same thing this past summer
A Victory Song was announced and the Color guard remained fixed despite the AD going out and telling em to dance out
LOL he (AD) later said that they were waiting for the veteran's song

The next night I happened to be a flag carrier and whispered to the Eagle staff carrier that they wanted us to dance out
LOL
we did that time