View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #31
skybird5
sentient being

Items Treasure Chest
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
skybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Ok so from what I can gather, there was extra money for Day money for 11 drums so the first 11 drums that registered when registration opened (at 10am) were allowed to register. When i arrived onsite (3:00pm) , singers were asking to register and they were told the drum registration was closed. And this was the decision of the AD, Larry Yazzie-when asked he said, we all ready set up the arena with room for those 11 drums only. Yeah, figure that one out. So the drums who are there are:
Hosts and Invited-
BlackLodge
R-Krew
Cozad
Southern Express
Others-
Omaha Whitetail
Red Hammer
Zotigh
Thunderboy
New Circle
Native Boyz
Sacred Wind
Tha Tribe
Wild Rose (?)
Black Creek

I think i got that right. the sound is a bit sketchy in the stadium, simply because it's TOO Big. The pow wow area is in roughly 1/3 of the stadium floor-its kinda cool cuz the field is outside growing, LOL. but the dance arena is covered with red carpet and then chairs have been spread around that. The Info sheets said 500 chairs, but they had 200 more brought in just before Grand entry. The sound just floats straight up so depending on where you're standing you may or may not be able to hear very well.

I volunteered with registration/tabulation and yes there were long lines of hot, cranky dancers. And yes, it appeared that most of the online dancer registrations didn't really get processed correctly so many dancers had to fill out forms again. Also dancers who registered at GON, their registration didn't seem to make it either. That whole process was much more time consuming than it needed to be. The disappointing part for many dancers was that registration closed at 6:00 pm, SHARP and grand entry was at 7:00pm. There wasn't much leniency given to dancers who were in line at 6pm or who walked up at 6:10-if you didn't get there to register before 6pm, you don't get to register until sat. morning at 8am.

I also helped take numbers for grand entry and by my count there were 580 dancers with numbers and about 25 or so who didn't have numbers. Then there were 3 or 4 color guard units and maybe 15 gourd dancers.

It's a first time event for this organization so maybe Saturday will be better. I did see a variety of food booths outside on the plaza area and there are a couple of concession stands open in side the stadium. Most of the stadium is roped off and inaccessible to the public-the bleacher seating is only open on the end where the arena is-so it makes for somewhat of a LONG walk for the smokers-I'm not one of them, but lots of folks were asking where to smoke. And if anyone attempts to wander where they arent' supposed to, there is a large crew of stadium security to redirect them.

Stay tuned for more tommorrow, LOL.
skybird5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook