View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
chazziff
is waiting ....

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgreen View Post
i am writing This post to ask all others in pow wow country their opinion on Attitudes of singers.. This past Weekend i attended The dartmouth pow wow in New Hampshire.. I have been going there for the past 3-4 years and always enjoy myself that's why our drum always continues to return every year.. Well The Host Drum was Eagle Flight ...There singing was good but their attitude was really Nasty.. i know they are from Canada but does that give the right to Treat the other singers like Trash.. first of all i know it says in the Rules when your register your drum "no drum Hopping" I have attended Numerous pows wows and sang with great drums along the way .. and at those pow wows the rules state no drum hopping.. clearly no one really listens to the rule..

so when eagle flight decided to sing a Southern song (they are a northern Drum ) me as having a love for southern Music i decided i would like to share in the moment and sing this beautiful cozad song with them.. as always i approached the drum and asked for permission from their lead singer and said no and the other individual there singing proceeded to tell me 'no Drum hopping" so i took it in stride and embarrassment at the same time part of me felt disrespected but i just told myself its in the rules just let it go ..so i continued to proceed through the rest of my day..

when it came to our final contest song is would be a Mens fancy ruffle .. we had talked to the pow wow committee and Arena Director and Made them Aware that we had a singer dancing and for the judges not to deduct points .. Well The Drum judges were several singers from the Host Drum Eagle Flight.. so when the judges came over we told them that one of our singers were dancing and not to deduct points .. i was Advised "well its either sing or dance" So Now i really feel disrespected by these guys..

we sang our song and they judged us.. after i approached the head judge and told him and he said they didn't deduct points i told them not to.. i told the Head Judge Wat was said to me and Made Them come back up and they had to change their scores.. So i know i should just be happy they changed their score but i think its really disrespectful that after we told them they still continued to deduct points..

i wanna know what other pow wow people think of this situation .. I mean they are a good drum but they arent Northern Cree ,Midnite express Young Bird.. I mean i know they didnt kknow who i was but i have sang with Young bird ,Southern Boyz, Mystic River ,, Its not like i was just a boyscout at the pow wow,.. well i ant your opinions get back at me
I agree not cool to bash someone on a forum site like this - without them being able to give their side of the story.

I know a couple of the young men that sing with Eagle Flight (their father lives down the hill from me actually.) I have always known them to be respectful young men. Now i can't say that of all the members of the group because I do not know them.

But I do know that all drum groups are different and some do not allow anyone to sit down with them at any time for any reason. Just the singers that sing with them. Meanwhile others are ... the more the merrier.

I do think it is their perogative not to allow someone to sit down with them, mid song. As I would imagine happened, since they started singing the song already (you heard them singing the Cozad song). It is a big of inconvenience, everyone trying to move over to make room for another singer, trying to keep the beat and song straight. That could be considered rude on your part to attempt to join a drum when they are already singing.

It is also the job of the head drum and dancing judges to notify their judges of the rules they are using. And often some pow wows have rules about it is either dance or sing. That is sometimes a big decision to make for some people ... sing or dance. As far as those judges knew, maybe they were told, it is either sing or dance. And the head judge made the exception for you (and your drum) and failed to notify all or some of judges they picked.