Thread: Gifts????
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
tribaltagz
pow-wow gear central!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond reputetribaltagz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
giveaway

I think probably Josiah and I will have similar teachings about this. I was taught that when you're head staff or any time you have been given an honor, you then share in that blessing by having giveaway. I think it depends on your family and how you were taught but I was always taught to give what you have. I was also taught that you don't give to family; blood or adopted, during the formal giveaway but reserve that for a private time.

I try and give privately to folks that have come out to support me, including family. Last time I was head staff I made arrangements to provide the Friday evening meal, since they weren't going to feed that day. My family put on a feed in my uncle's honor who paid my way in when I was young. I was also taught there are certain things you always give. Pendletons are always good, tobacco for the drum and singers, we always include food baskets and shawls as well as take things out to the drum throughout the dance, such as cough drops, drinks, etc....
Also some tribes have giveaway out through the camps, such as the Quapaw, then just have a small giveaway in the arena.

Again, I think it just depends on how you were taught, where you are, and the honor given to your family or the purpose of the gifting. Just my two cents.
tribaltagz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook