Thread: Prayer
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia Sis View Post
Here is the down deep thing that is the crux of it for me. I think of Powwows as a medium by which Ingenious Americans can reach out and try to reestablish for them selves and their children and all us Gringos that way of life that was so nature focused that allowed thousands of tribes to live on this continent for thousands of years without the destruction of it. It was a SUSTAINABLE way of living in that it respected Gaia....

I would hope that Powwows would attempt to focus on the Powhattans or the ancient cultures spiritual way of life, rather than the European religions. Mother Earth needs to be less dominated and respected more for just being a living breathing thing that can be killed. What happened to those Native American efforts to bring awareness to this fact?

What I hear in your words is disappointment. You have a mental image of Native people as earth goddess worshipping, environmentalists who were going to have give you a lovely weekend with the noble savage. Sorry we failed to meet your expectations.

But then again, we as Native people have been failing to meet European expectations since 1492. So we're used to disappointing.

We talk and Europeans do not listen. We tell you a powwow is not a spiritual event. We tell you that powwows are Indian time for Indian people and as such have only to answer to the community that sponsors them. We tell you we are not our "dead-noble-ancestors." We tell you life goes on, even after cultural genocide. We tell you that some of us include Christianity, computers, country-western music, and Hagen-Dazs in our lives. But you do not want to hear.

You have an issue with Christianity and you want us to join you in your fight against it. Again we as Native people are expected to conform to European whims. We have our own issues; we have our own fights. If you want to find out who we really are: stop telling us who you want us to be and endure a little discomfort. You might find that real Native experiences, insights, and friendships are worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia Sis View Post
Since it was not until 1973, YES 1973, that a country supposedly founded on 'religious freedom' granted to the original peoples of that land the right to pursue the rituals of their cultural spiritual beliefs.

The American Indian Religious Freedom Act was passed in 1978. I remember well, I was in 8th grade Civics class -- at a fundamentalist Christian school -- when the teacher read the news article and a passage from The Way to Rainy Mountain to the class. He then discussed what the church and Christians had to atone for in their treatment of Native people. Painting all Christians with one brush is no more fair than painting all Native people.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-21-2009 at 01:35 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook