View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #24
Gaia Sis
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gaia Sis is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
OL Chemist, is it fair of you to paint me as a Lola Granola, anti Christian, European because I voiced my disappointment with the differences of the first Powwow I have been able to attend in the SE after growing to enjoy those I had attended 7 years previously in Colorado.

OL, I did have an expectation and it was of those Powwows I had attended at the field house in Ft Carson; or Delta CO; or the public site set aside for Powwows north of Castle Rock; or at the Denver Arena. I expected there to be a difference so I emailed the representative and called the person she suggested. In both cases I was told to expect it to be much better: “It will knock your socks off”, “We do all those dances and more”.

It wasn’t until I posted my question here that I was told that a Powwow is not a ‘spiritual event’. This is your perspective. The ones I attended in Colorado were indeed spiritual for me, as I believe they were to the majority of those who attended and participated.

For the last 6 years I have listened to the Garifuna on Roatan drum and sing and dance and blow the conch ~ when you hear this during a storm that has knocked out the electricity and is making the palms bow, it is spiritual! It was so for me because it connected me in a very small but real way to the ancestors of those people and what they found their strength in. I think it does them as well. They too are Christian, but they leave it aside while they become grass roots African again. Kiyaanii, I think I have respect for things that are different, otherwise I would not have elected to live in a place so very different that many of your could not imagine just how different it is.

Many of you have made the assumption that I am not an Indigenous American! And it seems to have been done so more from my beliefs, than from blood. Yes, I called myself a Gringa, because I have lived in Honduras for the last 6 years and that is what I was to Honduranos . Now I find my time better spent on trying to help them in their battle against US interference in their democracy than trying to discuss a misunderstood Native American experience.

I am real sorry that I upset you with my inability to respectfully explain and my misunderstanding of your sensitivities.

Lastly, Kiyaanii mom, we waited until the PRECHING had ended; the staff was planted and the Grand Entry Entourage had exited the circle before we walked out.

I appreciate all the consideration all of you have give me and my ideas.

Oh, the private message did not come through on my machine because of my pop up blockers.
Gaia Sis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook