Thread: Prayer
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
LSS
Taskahoi Atsuti

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I'm gonna propose my $0.02 worth here...think about it!

How many times have we all witnessed something that we did not understand? As a native man who believes himself to be both a traditionalist and Christian, I can tell you this happens all too often! For us (or, maybe I should say myself...chew on these words and let me know which it is...) this is a matter of life-style. Growing up in the communities you see and learn things without ever knowing you learned them.

I have been singing for over ten years now. I've been around the drum long enough to be the "newbie" and now to the point where we have our own little ones with us. There are numerous times I've set back and watched my nephews at the drum act/behave in such a way that make me smile...or just shake my head. Learning is always going on even when we least expect it...and whether or not its the appropriate thing to pick up.

Watching my grandfather, who has now crossed over about fifteen years ago, I always gotta kick outta watching/helping him in the field. This one time when I was less than ten, I followed behind him in the field spreading "soda" next to the rows. When I was done, I just new I had done a "GREAT JOB"! About a month or two later, I learned it was not such a great job! The crop that grew was very healthy. The crop that did not grow was "burnt". Through out the field, you could see a natural progression of healthy to dead crop. What a lesson learned! I got chewed out with the rest of the grandchildren. It was directed to me, but all of us had to hear it.

The point I am trying to make is that just because you feel you did not need to hear this "sermon" does not mean someone else didn't need to hear it! You never know what events lead up to that moment for the individual who spoke, or as you said "preached". Age is not a factor in this case...but keep in mind that every elder has a right to speak/teach the lessons that are on their heart. In our way, this is God moving through us in some form or fashion. And I said "age is not a factor in this case" because there have been a few times I was given the "boldness" to correct (in my mind) an elder. It was not the most pleasant thing in the world to do...but, it had to be done the elder had spoken out of turn with limited experiences and biased thoughts/feelings.

These words were not meant to be an attack on you...but more/less exposing you to a way of thinking/acting that may be a bit foreign to you. A lot of people have thrown out some heavy stuff your way with regards to pow wows being a social function. Yes...in some instances, there are those of us who become engrossed in "spiritual" essence. For others, not so much. Most pow wow committees host events as a fundraiser. They have put together a venue for those to have that "spiritual" essence and/or to fellowship. What a person does (who participates or attends to spectate) is totally up to that individual as long as we meet the expectations of that committee. "When in Rome, do as in Rome!" And remember, true native way of thinking is about putting others first and ourselves last!
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook