View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Fat Albert
Eater of all frybread!!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I had heard they were used for war as well. Signaling in particular. I have also hear the stories of mirror boards being used to do the following:
1) Attract the attention of a pretty shawl dancer or other desirable womenz sitting outside the arena.
2) Men are easily angered so at a dance where you are supposed to keep good feelings, men use the mirror boards to look at each other all sneaky like since looking directly at the other guy might cause a fight or something.
3) The reflective properties of a mirror are used to defend against medicine being sent against a person.

All of those were stories I have been told from various sources along the way. In my experience there is a degree of truth in all of them... some way more than others.

As for me, I have two mirror boards I carry (not at the same time!) and I have retired my tail sticks from when I first started. I have always been taught that straight dancers carry tail sticks so it is ok for all straight dancers to carry them. I choose not to out of respect for those that have the right. Now, as for contest judges knowing who is who... seems we have enough problems getting judges that know anything about the style! LOL!
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook