View Single Post
Old 12-20-2001, 12:30 AM   #2
Kiwehnzii
Oldfart

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I totally agree that the drum groups are under-paid. This is a good thought-provoking topic. It should open some eyes.

The powwow committees that I have knowledge of are hard-working individuals who would like nothing more than to increase the honorarium for the singers.

At our community gathering, a singing contest was held with fairly good prize money. The non-placing groups also had a fairly good honorarium. Total payout was around $15,000.00. Total cost to put on the powwow (including food, prize money, etc.) was in the $45,000.00 range.

This coming year, I believe the committee is going to go the invited drums only route with each group receiving equal amounts. It is the only way in which there could be an equitable solution and the singers could all get a little more in their pockets.

They are open to suggestions on how to raise more funds for the
singers. The person who initiated this thread should be able to help with some suggestions and possibly (if he's available) come to the communities who need his expertise and help them out. Of course, food & lodging would be provided. Financial compensation would be out of the question as most committee members that I know of are volunteer basis and do this strictly out of the love of the native culture and of their communities.

If there was a way to raise maybe $15-20,000.00 more it would be great!

Can you help us out? Miigwetch
Kiwehnzii is offline   Share with Facebook