View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Usdigvhi
Little Wildcat

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Usdigvhi has a reputation beyond repute
Usdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond reputeUsdigvhi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
To anyone researching Geneology for Appalachian Families...

I leave Powwows.com for a while and come back and theres a new sub-forum that I'd like to participate in LOL

Anyway, I thought I would share a bit of things to anyone researching from my 10 long years of researching.

If your family is from Appalachia, and as far as you can tell has ALWAYS been in Appalachia, you were told your whole life you are native, and you swear your family looks it, but your ancestor did NOT walk the trail of tears...there is a strong possibility you are Melungeon. Some of the most popular Melungeon surnames are:

Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and Denham

Melungeon is not some "undiscovered" tribe, all it is is a fancy name for people who mixed early. And not just native tribes and whites, but also African Americans as well, and then after they intermarried, they kept marrying people who were also mixed. Most of the time, they put white on the census just for people to leave them alone, but they were still social outcasts because they looked and acted different from your standard white person because they had mixed cultures and didn't wholly identify with any of the 3 social groups.

You can find more info about Melungeons at Welcome to the Melungeon Heritage Association Website | Melungeon Heritage Association
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

-Tecumseh
Usdigvhi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook