View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
timmy tiger
Head Dancer

Items Cake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thank you Amigo for posting this article.

I've heard the term "Black Dutch" many times even from VA and WV.

I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article. For example I think the term isn't just for the "Cherokee's" but could be any NDN background or other too.

You also have to remember that way back then that women had no rights at all but what their husbands allowed them. Do you know that if a man died that he could list in his will someone else to care for the kids that were still at home even if his wife was still living and there was nothing she could do about ti, I did actually find that a couple of times in some of my searches. Also, so in that case if a woman who was NDN married a man who was European, it was expected of her to take his background as her own and she would be listed, many times, on the census as he was. Also, many times back then the census takers really didn't ask, some would just look and assume.

Also, I don't know about all the people who say that they ran and hide in the mountains or caves. Oh I do know that that did happen and a few that did, but not all that claim now that that happened. I've heard people from VA and WV say that and the gov never went there to remove the Cherokee's because after the Rev war the gov signed a treaty with the NDN's and as far as they were concerned there were no NDN's in that/those states, WV didn't become an official state until 1858 due to the Civil War. So the "Trail of Tears" actually didn't go that far at all and was basically based on the treaty of New Echota in GA that was signed around 1835. There is a Census of all the Cherokee's who remained (supposed to be all, but some did leave the tribe on their own before this) called "The Henderson Rolls" and that, like I said, was supposed to be a listing of all the Cherokee's in the East who remained after 1817/1819. And that "Roll" was about the removal. The treaty was signed and supposed to take place like in a short time after that. It kept getting postponed and by the time that the gov actually got around to it in 1838 many of the Cherokee's actually had changed their minds and that's when the Soldiers came in. So it wasn't just this big surprise, it was coming for 3 years and there very well were some that left even before then on their own and had nothing to do with the "Trail" and some of those could be the "Black Dutch". It's another thing that maybe they just didn't know about their NDN background 'cause maybe it was a mother who didn't speak of it 'cause her husband wouldn't let her so the children didn't know and when they were asked they just said 'Black Dutch". These are some other possibilities.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook