View Single Post
Old 12-22-2001, 02:34 AM   #11
Smokin' Ace
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
If I may - I believe when pow-wow wooer began this thread, it wasn't solely for bi***ing, but to bring this discussion to the table - and I think many people have alot of good imput. There have been some very good questions here, and I think people are learning about the importance of a good drum - making the dancers look all the better thru good dancing, making people feel better with their gift of song.

But here's something else - I have worked on several pow-wow committees - it is a hard decision on the price to pay a drum - some people you can afford - some you cannot - but there are other things that can be done to make that drum want to visit you again, and it doesn't just fall on the pow-wow commitees shoulders. Most pow-wows are held in communities or by organizations right? Well, just like you have a guest in your home, your hope is that that guest will feel good enuff to want to visit you again, and tell his frens how fine he was treated in your presence. To me, that is all any good drum asks too. And that is one of the highest compliments to an organization, that a drum will WANT to come back to your event year after year.

So to all the pow-wow committee people - here's a question: Can you honestly say that you put on such an event that drums don't need to be invited, they just come to sing, knowing they will be treated good? There are a few pow-wows I personally know of that can say yes, hands down! What do they do that makes you feel like coming back?

Number one, they let you sing. They don't take up the whole pow-wow with other agendas - they actually let you sing.

Number two - they take care of you - bringing water, beverages. Asking if they need anything. We recently went to Tullahoma Tennessee (KTNJ) - the pow-wow was :dontknow: but the arena director and others kept asking if we needed anything - because it was cold and we were the only drum for a while, they brought coffee and hot chocolate to the drum. That kept everyone happy.

Arrange for housing - of some sort - this is for host drums mostly - but usually there is a "host/guest" hotel set aside to accomodate the groups. It does fall on the shoulders of the drums to make the arrangements, but shame on committees who do not have a host hotel of some sort!!!!!!!!! This is so easy to do, and helps so much. One of the glorious things about pow-wowing is being able to see your fellow pow-wowers in the halls or at the hotel restaurants. Helps develop that sense of family.

And the money is important - just to show your appreciation of their singing. At pow-wows where there is no money for drums alloted - (non-comp. and a host and guest are already paid), a blanket dance is appropriate for the other visiting drums. When you are thinking about a host drum, think of their singers, how long they will be there (day and night sessions), their travel time. If you have a limited budget - tell the drum you want what you can pay, and be honest - it may be that arrangements can be made to satisfy all.

Remember - the key to committees and communities is having that drum WANT to come back to your event next year. That's how the best pow-wows have been able to survive year after year - those good pow-wow feelings.

Have a good evening! And Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! ;):c1:

Last edited by Smokin' Ace; 12-22-2001 at 02:42 AM..
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook