View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Zeke
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
In honor of fry-bread, and full disclosure, I'll tell my fry bread story.

Some years ago, I was Executive Director of an Indian Center. I learned a lot -- mostly about the pettiness and fear of small-minded people -- but I learned, nonetheless. In any event, at a festival that, consistently, used up manpower and was more trouble than it was worth, we had a food booth.

Now, I'm not above the consumption of fry-bread, but I like mine a certain way, a way that nobody had been able to replicate except when found in oil-soaked, brown, paper bags at stomp dances in Oklahoma.

I, actually, had been ill the entire day but showed up, anyway, out of leadership. Soon, I found myself asleep in a lawn chair.

Hours later, at the end of the event, we were down to the fry-bread dregs in the bottom of an igloo cooler. Starving, I reached in and grabbed a piece. It was hard, cold, chewy and doughy.

Just the way that I like it.

As it turns out, I only like OLD fry-bread.

Who knew?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook