View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
J.L. Benet
Northerner in Florida

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
J.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Facebook's Racism

Facebook is not allowing award-winning author, Owl Goingback, to register on the site because they believe his name is fake.
Owl Goingback on Facebook Today!
Owl Goingback on Facebook Today! | Facebook

More info on Owl Goingback:
Owl Goingback's Official Web Site
Owl Goingback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Owl Goingback
Owl Goingback | Facebook

The email exchange (starts from the bottom):

Re: My Name Was Rejected

Thank you for providing us with this information. However, without a scanned image of a government issued ID, we will not be able to register an account for you under this name. If you are unable to provide us with this information, please consider this the end of correspondence on this matter.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

User Operations
Facebook

-----Original Message to Facebook-----
Subject: Re: My Name Was Rejected

Dear Facebook.
You refuse to give me a Facebook page, saying that my name, Owl Goingback, is made up, when it is my legal name. Yet you just gave a page to "Sas Quatch": aka Sasquatch, aka BigFoot, the hairy monster in the woods.
I have a good mind to contact the American Civil Liberties Union and bring a lawsuit against you for racism.
Owl Goingback
Native American Author

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:46:59 PM

Hi Owl,

Unfortunately, in order to verify the ownership and name for the account, I will need for you to provide me with a scanned image of a government issued ID (e.g. driver's license).

Additionally, you should make sure to copy and paste all of our previous correspondence into your message when you reply. Once we have received this information, we will reevaluate the status of the account. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

User Operations
Facebook

This is insane. I do not have a scanner; therefore, I cannot send you a copy of my driver's license, passport, social security card, birth certificate or concealed weapons permit--even though they all carry the name Owl Goingback. But I live in the Orlando area, and will be happy to show you or a representative said documents in person.

For the last time, Owl Goingback is my real name, and it is the only name I have--I cannot give you another one. I am an American Indian (Choctaw/Cherokee), and Native people often have names that sound different to mainstream America: Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Leonard Crow Dog, etc, but they are just as real as John Smith, or even Obama.

I am an award winning novelist and children's book author, and if you look inside the front cover of any of my books, you will see that they are copyrighted Owl Goingback--my real name. And if you enter my name in Google's search engine, you will find it listed on over a hundred thousand websites world wide. I am also listed in WHO'S WHO IN AMERICA and WHO'S WHO IN LITERATURE, as well as being a member in good standing of the Authors Guild and Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America.

I am starting to think that Facebook is racist towards American Indians, and will be telling my readers and fans of this situation. Apparently you don't have a problem with non minorities with unusual names, because I know of one man who used a fake Spanish name to get a Facebook account--and he was never even questioned.

After all this hassle, I don't even want a Facebook account anymore. I do not appreciate being called a liar. But this argument is no longer about me, but about how you may treat other Native People and minorities in the future. I doubt seriously I would have been turned down had I applied using a fake name, like John Clark or Richard Jones, to obtain a Facebook page.

I will be posting your letter and my response on the Internet for others to read.

Sincerely,

Owl Goingback

Sent: Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:33:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks for providing this information. At this time, we cannot verify the name for your account. Please send a scanned image of a government issued ID (e.g. driver's license) to [email protected] in order to confirm your name. Please black out any personal information that is not needed to verify your identity (e.g. social security number). Also, make sure to copy and paste all of our previous correspondence into your message when you reply. Once we have received this information, we will reevaluate the status of registering an account with this name. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Lauren
User Operations
Facebook

To: [email protected]

Dear Face Book,
Owl Goingback is my real, legal name. It is not a Fake Name! I am an award winning novelist and children's book author. If you have any doubt, please visit my official website at www..owlgoingback.com. And if you google my name, it will come up on over a hundred thousand websites world wide.
Owl Goingback

Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:42:39 PM

Hi,

We will not be able to process this request due to the use of a Fake Name. Fake names are a violation of our Terms of Use. Facebook requires users to provide their full first and last names (i.e. no initials). Impersonating anyone or anything is prohibited. Nicknames can be used in the form of FirstName 'NickName' LastName, but only if they are a variation on your real first or last name, such as 'Bob' instead of 'Robert'.

If you would like to sign up for Facebook, just get back to us with your real name, and we will be able to assist your further.

Thanks,

User Operations
Facebook