View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
yaahl
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Oh man this is great, do you have any idea how long I've waited for the non-natives to end up in places called reservations? jk

I think we have to pick our battles carefully because while we are fighting a minor skirmish, our enemies are sneaking up on us while we are distracted.

Up here in Canada, we have an entire warship class called the Tribal Class. Each ship carries the name of a Tribe in Canada. In a lot of cases even our tribal names are misnomers as the non-natives who first met us relied on our neighbours to tell then who we were. They forgot to ask what we called ourselves. So the Anishinabe became the Ojibwa, the Haudenosaunee became the Iroquois and so on. I often ask myself why we get so upset when a non-native uses a name that we ourselves don't even like using. If they want to name a ship the Iroquois, what is the big deal? It's the wrong name anyway. Did we live on reservations prior to Columbus getting lost? No we didn't, the reservation is a white man's name and concept. They own that concept, we never did.

I think in my own little corner of the world that if you truly want to defeat this issue, then use the energy to point how erroneous these folks are in the names and terms the have chosen to use. Give them a history lesson. Maybe when they realize what silly people they are, the name thing won't be have such a shiny appearance to them. But whatever you do, don't take ownership of names and terms that were never ours to begin with. Tell them who you really are.

My two elk teeth anyway.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook