View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #210
Iowa_Boy
HUUUUUUUUUH!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
I thought Bill Gates invented the internet....

As far as the Kiowa inventing fancy dancing.... Aren'e the Kiowa and Ponca close relatives? I mean I used to hang with some Kiowa when I lived in Florida and just about all the songs they sang were Ponca. And if anyone else started to sing a Ponca song, you can bet their ears perked up so they could tell you if you sang it wrong or not. Lord help you if you sang it wrong too.

As far as singing and dancing goes though, I think that those are credited to Nanaboozhoo. He had one reason or another to invent them. I think he was bored and just started singing one day, and some warrior came up to him and asked what he was doing. He said, "Oh I don't know. I just started having these thoughts and started saying them out loud you know. They sounded good so I repeated the important parts.

When asked why he invented dancing, he said he was being chased by some giants, and he came upon some stones. He tried to step on the stones but slipped this way and that. Before the giants knew what was happening, they became confused by Nanaboozhoo's movements and crashed into each other. So when he got back to his village and asked how he escaped without bodily harm he demonstrated the steps on the stones. The Anishinaabe loved it so much they copied him.
no the kiowa and ponca are not related, but they do both live in Oklahoma, thus there was interaction between them during the formative years of fancy dancing. Every tribe has some origin story for singing and dancing.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook