View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
meashcrme
chahta native

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
meashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond reputemeashcrme has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
meas,

I had a good friend who had just graduated with her bachelor's degree in Native American Studies. She made excellent grades and had been going back and forth to her home community to attend community language classes for over 4 years. I believed in her and knew her education and tribal knowledge were valuable.

I recommended her for employment with our state historical society where they have major American Indian artifact, oral history and publications collections. She was hired as Assistant Curator of the Indian Collections and received on the job training at the state museum.

To the best of my knowledge she is still there.
Thanks for the info.! I'm trying to figure out what fields of work someone could go into with that bachelor. It sounds like all of her hard work paid off. That job sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
I teach native studies at a college. We advise native students to get a minor or a double major. Most practical applications for the NAS major only come now with advanced degrees (MA, MS, PHD, JD). If you want to help your people, NAS is not the easiest route. When I taught for a tribal college we were cranking out people with Indian Studies AA's and there were no jobs for them.
Thanks so much for the reply, its great to get such good information from someone who actually teaches in this field.
Would you have any advice about what is needed most to directly help the tribal community?

My aunt works as a social worker for indian health services, and believes that careers in social work (with experience in substance abuse) are in high demand.

I'm considering going to school this fall and really would like to major in something that could ultimately benefit native people.
meashcrme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook