View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Eaglepathfinder
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Eaglepathfinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I descended in part from the Isaac Johnson family from upstate NY. This family removed to Ohio in early 1800s. Daughter Mary first married William Barnhart. They had about 6 children. He was killed on the Ohio River in a fight. She lived for a while between three free black families in Grandview Twp., Washington County, Ohio, until she married Robert McCormick. They had three children. My father's family believed the Johnson's to be Black Dutch when asked. Almost all of their offspring had black hair and dark eyes.

My great grandmother had 12 children who were all black haired and dark eyes. My grandfather was 6 foot, ruddy complected with high cheek bones and rangy built. He married a part Indian (my grandmother) and had 15 children, most of whom had black hair and dark eyes. My grandmother, the part Indian, was from SE Ohio of German and Indian descent. Her family, like others noted in this thread, hid in the hills to avoid removal by marrying and taking the line of their husbands. There was no mention in her family being Black Dutch, only grandfather's.

Grandmother came from a line of mid-wives and were healers by using herbs when a family member or neighbor became sick. She learned this from her mother and her grandmothers. Grandmother had hair almost to her knees when she let it down to wash and comb it. People in our family offered to cut it but she was proud of her hair and didn't want it cut because it was supposed to be that long according to her.

So, the questions is, if Black Dutch isn't Indian, then what is it really? I believe it to be a number of things, including to hide the fact thqat a person was an Indian. That would be a very good cover-up, especially if others believe that it could denote other gourps of people too. We have NO Spanish nor Italian in our blood lines, just Indian, English, Irish, Scotch and German.

Elders in Ohio believe that 1 in 6 people whose families were the early white settlers have Indian blood in their line because there just were not very many white girls available for marriage back then, and that the men married Indian girls to have a family. Sounds reasonable to me. Just my two cents worth.
Eaglepathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook