View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunktaki View Post
I hate sqweegle lightbulbs...they give beads the wrong color...
Yeap. I was beading at a art show and didn't realize they had CFL's in everything but the spots that were lighting the gallery walls. I got the piece I was working on outside and found I had used dark red instead of brown.

I live in an area of town with really poor power regulation. Unless I plug the lamp into a UPS/filter, I get lifetimes that are the same as Mr Edison's bulb. Five dollar lightbulb changes every month offset the electricity savings.

CFL's contain about 4 mg of Hg. They have to be disposed of as hazardous waste and cannot go into regular garbage. If you break one the EPA recommends you lock kids and pets out of the room, open the windows leave the room, turn off the heater/AC, wait 10-15mins. Then clean up, confining the waste to a sealed glass jar (plastic will let Hg vapor through). Wash up and leave the room to air out, without heat or AC for several hours. It's more fun if you break it on carpet; you're supposed to leave the room with the windows open for several hours the next few times you vacuum.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL: Detailed Recommendations | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

My felines knock lamps over so often I'm dreading the change. I get enough Hg exposure from decades worth of broken thermometers in labs.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook