View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #143
jack2011
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Jack, that video is from a "pow wow" in Europe... seriously you need to do some research on your own... check out the Indian tribes in Poland, Germany, France... one thing to consider, if you are asking me to go off and "read up" on Tribal history - I read anything that has been written down as tribal history with a healthy dose of skepticism so should you. One can not book learn about a people, one must live it. I also asked you for your source of your info on the Pawnee.

Now if you don't like conversing in English, what language would you like? I speak Haida, Tutchone, Tlingit and a smattering of Cree, Mi'kmaq and a few lines of Eyak. I can also converse in Russian, German, French, Arabic and Pashto. Pick one and we'll get on with it.

"Now if you don't like conversing in English, what language would you like? I speak Haida, Tutchone, Tlingit and a smattering of Cree, Mi'kmaq and a few lines of Eyak. I can also converse in Russian, German, French, Arabic and Pashto. Pick one and we'll get on with it."

I never said I didn't like to converse in English. I guess that's your smug way of telling me how many languages you speak.
What I said was :

Culture always has been up for grabs. The very fact that we are communicating on this board using the English language and the Roman alphabet (which was derived from the Greek, which was derived from the Phoenician, which....) is proof of that. (and Arabic numerals, I might add).

Culture doesn't exist in a vacuum.

I can't speak any of those languages, but I can speak Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Tagolog, Visayan.

"I also asked you for your source of your info on the Pawnee."

The Lost Universe: Pawnee Life and Culture. Contributors: Gene Weltfish. University of Nebraska Press. Place of Publication: Lincoln, NE.

The Missouri Gazette articles, St. Louis

Government files (too lazy to look them up)

"seriously you need to do some research on your own... check out the Indian tribes in Poland, Germany, France..."

My pow wow experiences are based on what I have seen first hand....not on videos on the web. I have zero interest in "Indian tribes" in Poland, Germany, France ( I admit, I had no idea they held white pow wows in Europe).

I am not an Indian "hobbyist". My interest, if you can call it that, is going to pow wows. I like the dances, the colorful regalia.... not to the exclusion of everything else...I also enjoy seeing Japanese bon odori festivals/dancing, Scottish Highland dancing, Spanish flamenco - you name it. I enjoy them all equally.

" One can not book learn about a people, one must live it. "

The only way to learn about the Sumerians, Parthians and other "peoples"...is through books....can't 'live" what no longer exists.

Some spend years with a "people" in order to accurately write about them

in any case...

I have no interest in "living" something I am not. Not even if my wife happens to be a full blood Ojibwe (I don't think of her in those terms), and, in truth (other than blood) she is about as much "Indian" as I am. Not that she is ashamed of who she is, she was not raised that way, nor were her parents for that matter.
jack2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook