View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
APACHEFIRE
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Paul, not to rain on your parade but many languages do not have a phrase to simply say hello. Perhaps you might want to change the title of the thread to Greetings.

In my languages, depending on who it is I'm addressing the phrase will alter in context and meaning. I would never ask a seemingly well person, "How are you?" for fear that they might think I see something unhealthy about them. Social context is everything when speaking a greeting.

The word Hello, wasn't even part of the English language until approximately 1833 when it appeared in (Anonymous) The Sketches and Eccentricities of Col. David Crockett, of West Tennessee. New York: J. & J. Harper, 1833. p. 144 The word resurfaced in 1877 where it won out over the word "Ahoy" for use with the telephone. Our greetings are much older than that.
GOOD POINT! glad you posted this.
My CHEROKEE GRANDMOTHER always said ‘Ho, or A’ho…as beginnings or ‘endings’.again depending...
APACHEFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook