View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #59
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This is old news, medicare already covers it, and there's reasons why people aren't jumping on the bandwagon.

I have known of two people dying from gastric bypass surgery very recently and within a week of each other and several who have had serious complications. This is major surgery that simply replaces your stomach with a piece of intestine, making a smaller pouch to hold food. This makes you feel fuller faster, but can be stretched out and not have as good blood supply as it should. A special baby food type diet is pretty much what you are stuck to. Only the jejunal bypass surgery will work.

I know all this because I have severe, probably terminal, steatohepatitis with some autoimmune complications. I meet not one, but three serious health issues that would make such surgery a "supposed" solution for me. I do not qualify based on obesity, but health.

The problem that I have with my type2 diabetes, which is genetic in my family, is that we have a problem metabolizing a western carb rich, fat rich diet. This is reality. Following traditions about not beeing greedy with sweets is somthing that is also lost pretty much in America.

In people like me diabetes is caused by insulin resistance , glycogen storage problems in the liver, coupled with malabsorption issues, which cause some mild malnutrition--especially with certain fat soluable vitamins. All of these conditions can be better rectified with diet.

My mother in law said this was common, it comes from a past of feast then famine eating. The liver is actually causing the diabetes rather than the pancreas. Doctors are investigating more what exactly causes diabetes in different people and find that diabetes is different in different people. Its important to know what causes it and be treated with proper medications. Diabetes is often secondary to other problems like slow thyroid or pituary, autoimmune problems, and liver problems.

I take Ursodiol, Metformin, vitamin A and some others just for general health, and pancreatic enzymes with each meal to support my overburdened pancreas from the times I do "blow it" on my diet. On lean buffalo, symptoms are alleviated and I lose weight, and get tremendous healing from returning to a more traditional diet of lean buffalo meat--this is key--properly cooked and raw vegetables and fruits in moderation I think of my motherinlaw scolding me for gluttony and making me eat alone, corn and native grains. Since I'm on meds that destroy the good gut bacteria, I use greek yogurt as my icecream substitute with a spoonful of polaner just fruit jam. the lactic acid of the organic yogurt flushes toxins from the liver and restores good bacteria. I don't care for probiotic yogurt, much of which is boiled anyway, but it is said to be as good as lactulose in one study, a milk based drug used to fight liver toxicity in liver patients.

After you have a gastric bypass you can expect to not be able to eat what you want. A hamburger can kill you. You may still be hungry, continually nauseas, have other gi problems, and there are more serious complications including death during surgery, which is how my two net friends died. Its not just a quick fix unfortunately.

I have been told by several doctors who know my situation and care that I am enjoying a better quality of life and health taking care of myself than I would doing this. If your doctor isn't up on the latest for type II, this is something that should be fixed, there is treatment, the docs are usually too lazy or just don't know.

I hate to sound negative but it is really scary stuff they do in that surgery.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook