View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Why is it they look for names that sound cool??

Or Wilson

One or the other

Cherokees did not have Sir Names prior to the 1880's ok let me clarify: Fullbloods who only spoke Cherokee did not have Sir Names until the 1880's. Names would be translated and they would be know as that but then they would also have other names
My GG Granfather was known as Brown, Smoke and Soot depending on who was translating. His English name he took when he was in his 40's was Alex Hawkins but I saw that spelled Aleck or Alix. He did not start using the English name till 1890 or so
His Father used several names also, like Tuwodi or Lewis sometimes Hawk

Examples:
BIG JACK Pvt Age 17 Saline Dist
CHICKEN RIDER Pvt Age 25 Saline Dist
DIRT EATER Pvt Age 18 Saline Dist
JOSIAH 1Sgt Age 40 Saline Dist
LITTLE DAVE Pvt Age 30 Saline Dist
OO YAR TER Pvt Age 35 Saline Dist
HAWK, LEWIS Pvt Age 35 Tahlequah Dist
KICK UP PUNKIN PILE Pvt Age 40 Tahlequah Dist
LITTLE HAIR BIG MUSH Pvt Age 35 Tahlequah Dist
PACKEN HAM BEAR MEAT Pvt Age 47 Tahlequah Dist
WOMAN KILLER Pvt Age 20 Tahlequah Dist
YOUNG SQUIRREL FLOPPER Pvt Age 30 Tahlequah Dist

These are Translated names and in some cases there is no Translation into English which was very common. This just a quick list from the Muster Rolls of the 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifle of the CSA
Taken Oct 1861 Ft Gibson Indian Territory

Common thing also was to use Big or Little Young or Older to be able to tell the difference when somebody has the same name.
By the Way the Name Josiah shows up over and over throughout this Muster Roll
In Cherokee my Name is pronounce Joe-shy
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook