View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #44
muskrat_skull
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
These are Translated names and in some cases there is no Translation into English which was very common.
In doing some Kennett family research I ran across some people listed with last name Cannot Say. Other people I ran across named Cannot or Canot, later move and appear with last name Kennett or Kinnett, there were some Kennetts/Kinnetts in the area. Since people didn't read or write, they got whatever the writers of the documents put down. Some Kennetts appear as Kenneth out west because the second t of the fancy Virginia script looked like an h perhaps either to transcriptionists or other people reading the documents.

Yeah, people do just find a name and if it matches holler and shout, even if the age isn't right, don't look to disprove or verify the match, then other people see it on the web and think its right and go along. On the other hand, alot of the old family genealogy books make everyone European and make most common names as derived from European languages and even practically make up crests for people and trace them to kings and queens and castles and deny any native origins for names or anything else. It makes me laugh when I see those crest things.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook