View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #45
yaahl
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat_skull View Post
In doing some Kennett family research I ran across some people listed with last name Cannot Say. Other people I ran across named Cannot or Canot, later move and appear with last name Kennett or Kinnett, there were some Kennetts/Kinnetts in the area. Since people didn't read or write, they got whatever the writers of the documents put down. Some Kennetts appear as Kenneth out west because the second t of the fancy Virginia script looked like an h perhaps either to transcriptionists or other people reading the documents.

Yeah, people do just find a name and if it matches holler and shout, even if the age isn't right, don't look to disprove or verify the match, then other people see it on the web and think its right and go along. On the other hand, alot of the old family genealogy books make everyone European and make most common names as derived from European languages and even practically make up crests for people and trace them to kings and queens and castles and deny any native origins for names or anything else. It makes me laugh when I see those crest things.
You see a lot of that in the Scottish clan research. Folks who are not of the same bloodline assume that if their name is the same as a Scottish clan that that must be the same family. Before you know it, they are wearing kilts, blowing a bagpipe and yelling, "For Scotland" while wearing a half blue face. Funny how some of those folks also state that their families ran away into the hills to keep from being part of the Highland Clearances. I see a trend here...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook