View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #196
yaahl
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Not me, it's inevitable for every tribe who desires to survive.

In general (big caveat), those are tribes from the East, are in Oklahoma, were militarily defeated many decades before more western tribes who are -- today -- the quantum Nazis, and represent the likely future for those nations.
  1. The bloodline is going to get weaker.
  2. Old ways will be supplanted by new.
  3. Leadership will have to redefine itself.
  4. Folks will have to evolve or face Natural Selection.
Step One, is confronting fear of change. Step Two, is ditching quantum.

That's why I laugh at people who say things like "Harrumph! This is the way it is with [insert broken English] my people. We will continue our ways. It is as it has always been and always shall be..."

The very second you utter such, you brand yourself as an exceptionally short-sighted and less than intelligent human who lives in a delusional world. (Go see the Gourd Dance thread for such foolishness.)

Why?

Because it's already happened a hundred (or more) times. The same speeches, the same aversion to reality, the same posturing, the same embarrassing rhetoric, the same inevitability... It happened to EACH of the tribes listed in the prior post.

Just because geography dictated a later critical mass for you (colloquial "you," not directing) and yours doesn't make you special, you're just behind the curve in terms of perceiving the handwriting on the wall: not only WILL there be change, you neither control it, can predict it or influence it.

To survive, you'll adapt.

The above folks have started the process.

What's the alternative? To be KiowKat and have grandchildren that can't legally produce "Native made" goods by virtue of her own ludicrously stupid quantum/recognition supporting hand.

How smart does that sound to you?
In theory Zeke, I agree with you. We did away with BQ according to the plethora of categories in our Indian Act when we signed off on our Self Government agreement. Mind you, the Indian Act had enfranchised folks that would ordinarily have stayed within the BQ rules if; they had not married out, joined the military, went to university or joined the clergy or signed their enfranchisement papers to get off the rez for what ever reason.

After Bill C31, Indian Affairs left it up to the FN to define their membership criteria. Some went with one parent descent, some had two parent (could be from different tribes but had to both be status), some when with BQ of 1/4 and some such as the Six Nations did not make a membership criteria. I think the big difference up here is that our constitution recognizes Metis folks and that's where the ones with long stretching ancestry back to that original FN ancestor come in. Those like my FN, have a membership of both status and nons and finally we have families that were separated by a pen stroke of an Indian Agent put back together again as equal members under the agreement.

*I should add, that it is possible up here to be registered with Indian Affairs and not be a band member because that person while meeting the BQ set out by Indian Afairs does not meet the membership criteria of a particular band... you are simply "at large". I understand one cannot do that in the States. We can also transfer our membership from one band to another -marriage, living near the new band etc) and we can also vote if we live off reserve now.

I think in my most humble opinion is that the one thing that might stop all this bickering in the US is for the recognition of those of mixed blood with marginal BQ/lineage as separate and unique to themselves. Give these folks a place that is different from the descendants of the treaties and reserves being set aside. I do have a caveat though and that is the person must do their genealogical homework and connect the dots to show a direct descendancy from those who they claim. I think being the nephew of the aunt who married the half blood from the Cayugas might be stretching it a bit too far.

Up here the Metis have come to terms with the notion that they share a history and culture with both sides of their family and as such, created a unique and distinct society of their own. Now that they have also been politicized, they are gatekeepers of their own folk now... they watch out for the wannabes as well. (as an aside, I have probably met in my lifetime, a couple of thousand descendants of Louis Riel - they all came out of the wood work once the GOC removed the traitor stigma attached to him and re-christened him a Metis hero. His apparent descendants are the new Cherokee Princess Grandmother folks)

Might be worth a try down stateside...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 12-31-2011 at 09:06 PM..