View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #292
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thanks JD interesting reading
I find it fascinating and a common story through out the Southeast and for that Matter in Missouri and Arkansas
In the Saponi they have a long road ahead

I have far more experience with groups that claim Cherokee ancestry. We deal with the ones based in Missouri and Arkansas all the time. But in the case of these groups we are not talking about 300 or 400 year old documents, we are only talking about 150 years. We have written records from many sources to cross check.
We have the National archives and we have the LDS that have scanned the original documents for all to read.
More recently the full Dawes packets are available on line so that we all can read through these documents on line instead of taking a trip to Texas to read them in person. I have read many a story of Lost Cherokees and today the descendants are trying to use those documents to prove they applied thus making them legit...

One Person does not make a tribe and if I heard once I have heard it a thousand times from Timmy Tiger: You have to cross check that person to make sure that is indeed your ancestor. Its like what she was saying last night about Find a Grave website its a great tool but... It can be inaccurate so you have to cross check the information. Its Great for Birth and Death Dates but for "stories". Well those you have to take with a grain of salt.
Research does not stop at the first name you find!