View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #330
yaahl
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Having had a quick peek at the scholarship of this Robert Thomas chap from the points ECSN made about his contributions us Canucks, I didn't really find a heap his material used in any of the Native Journals we produce up here.. I searched back to about 1980. I found one article by him in the Indigenous Portal that we use for FN research run by U of Sask. I understand this fellow died in about 1991. Which would have put him present around Canadian Indian politics after Meech Lake and Bill C31 and before Oka, RCAP and the Charlottetown Accord.

What I did find however, was a site created by his colleagues and friends to amass his collected scholarship. Seems a bit strange that a private group would be doing that rather than the educational institutions where he researched and taught. I also found a few articles about him by folks that have very strong ties with large religious organizations who appeared to have contracted this Thomas fellow to do some "seminars" in northern communities. Had this Thomas fellow lived into the late 90s and beyond, he would have found his old supporters in churches such as the Anglicans, embroiled in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission over the residential schools they operated. It appears that this Thomas' "contributions" to Canada were restricted to a few seminars for some churches up in the NWT. I haven't located any scholarship by him in this regard that is specific to Canada - Just an article by MacKenzie about their trip up north.

In my work with the repatriation of artifacts and ancestor remains, I read a ton of papers by anthropologists, historians and museum staff. I can't say this fellow's work topped my list of readings - up here in Canada at least. That doesn't mean he didn't contribute something in a scholarly manner just that he isn't as well known as ECSN would like us to believe. We have other scholars that are now the "go to" ones now.

Anyway, not sure where this apparent statute of this Thomas fellow is, don't recall seeing it in Trent, Sask, Manitoba, UNBC, UNB or UBC's Native studies departments (or any of the other 30 depts across Canada in our fine universites). Don't recall seeing anything like it in any of the law schools either. But I could have missed it if its size and location was not what one would expect - if ECSN could provide a location I'll contact the Dept head/Faculty Dean and ask them for a quick pic of it. I'm kind of wondering why we would put a statute up of an American (no offence to American scholars) when we have so many our our own prolific scholars here to cast in bronze.

I vote that we suggest to ECSN that he might want to loosen up his headband.. it appears to be cutting off the blood flow to his brain... (from http://www.saponitown.com/forum/show...1129#post31129 )
Attached Images
File Type: png idiotboy1.png (19.0 KB, 57 views)
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 01-02-2012 at 11:53 AM..