Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #79
docgary
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
docgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb Cherokee ancestry

Not sure of your Cherokee ancestry? Well, I had a similar experience. It was all rumors in my family who are known for stretching the truth, as some members want to look important.
Let's face it-everyone today wants to be related to an Indian somewhere. I think what has happened is that when Europeans left for the New world, they became Americans and lost their spirituality and culture. They didn't lose religion, just their spirituality. Cultures disappeared as many different cultures blended.

I trashed my books on Cherokee language, clothing etc. as I became frustrated at ever finding any relative in my family tree, despite the rumors. Suddenly after finishing my degree in Social Science, I came across something on anthropology related to American Indians that seemed to fit physical defects and features in my family. It wasn't just one or two, it was many.

With that I mind, I dug some more and found an ancestor, but it only makes me 1/32nd blood and one generation down from qualifying in the Eastern Band of Cherokee. So great, I can have the defects and weaknesses but not the CDIB card! Perfect!

On the other hand, the other rumor of my Gt Grandmother born 50 years after the Trail of Tears, will probably never be solved, as many Cherokee who did not want to go on that road to Oklahoma never registered and disappeared -living as whites in the Mountains of NC and E. Tenn, where I am from.

Stop by cherokeeroots.org - I did and that is how I found the info.
There is a wealth of information there.

Gary

Last edited by docgary; 01-16-2012 at 11:10 PM..
docgary is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook