View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #80
comadre
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgary View Post
Not sure of your Cherokee ancestry? Well, I had a similar experience. It was all rumors in my family who are known for stretching the truth, as some members want to look important.
Let's face it-everyone today wants to be related to an Indian somewhere. I think what has happened is that when Europeans left for the New world, they became Americans and lost their spirituality and culture. They didn't lose religion, just their spirituality. Cultures disappeared as many different cultures blended.

I trashed my books on Cherokee language, clothing etc. as I became frustrated at ever finding any relative in my family tree, despite the rumors. Suddenly after finishing my degree in Social Science, I came across something on anthropology related to American Indians that seemed to fit physical defects and features in my family. It wasn't just one or two, it was many.

With that I mind, I dug some more and found an ancestor, but it only makes me 1/32nd blood and one generation down from qualifying in the Eastern Band of Cherokee. So great, I can have the defects and weaknesses but not the CDIB card! Perfect!

On the other hand, the other rumor of my Gt Grandmother born 50 years after the Trail of Tears, will probably never be solved, as many Cherokee who did not want to go on that road to Oklahoma never registered and disappeared -living as whites in the Mountains of NC and E. Tenn, where I am from.

Stop by cherokeeroots.org - I did and that is how I found the info.
There is a wealth of information there.

Gary
docgary,
I am not sure who you are addressing here. Assuming that it could be in response to what I posted above I want to clarify the individuals I was speaking of were full blood Native men who were tribal eligible and had a family within a specific federally recognized tribe.Their native nor tribal status was not rumor or guess work or wonder.
Whether you were or were not addressing my post- I definately want to address this comment you gave.

Let's face it-everyone today wants to be related to an Indian somewhere.
I do not believe this statement. There are soooo many people who harbor racist sentiments for the native person. Can you believe it? Racism still exists! Most white folks don't think so as they believe the entire race is marching right down utopian lane where we all live together as one big happy family blending together until we are all one, such poppycock!.
As for myself, I don't have any reason to want to find someone in my family to be Indian. Why would I? I don't get it. It's not exactly a "lucrative" club!!I have been in public with my native husband,daughter in laws and my children and taken a sharp note at the difference in which they are treated compared to my Caucasian privileged self. I have heard the grammas, and mommas sob in grief again and again and again when yet another child has passed from this world too soon. And I have sat in bewilderment as my own mind struggles to grasp why, why, why do kids die from homocide, suicide, drug addiction, gang violence,exposure (ya- I said exposure)at such an alarming rate in our native communities while my own Caucasian world has no clue and would be shocked to know this reality exists. Add to this the rise in elder suicides and remind yourself that what I described are only symptoms that have risen far enough to the surface to give a glimpse of some real problems that native community and family will grapple with.I find it really nuts that this is the "club" everyone wants to be in!!!!!

don't no one throw me a red bead for sayin my peace . I know that there are reasons to be "Proud" of your heritage(I am talking to the native folks-they know who they are)but that is a different subject altogether.

I also want to say this- I have ancestors who came over here-yep-with the first fleet of ships. (if ya throw me a red bead for that, I'll just laugh! Lol)And I take offense to the comment that we Europeans have lost our spirituality. Who dares speak for my clan?
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook