View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
APACHEFIRE
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation OH DANG!! and geesh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MENTION=4221
OLChemist;1460645]
CFL's contain about 4 mg of Hg. They have to be disposed of as hazardous waste and cannot go into regular garbage. If you break one the EPA recommends you lock kids and pets out of the room, open the windows leave the room, turn off the heater/AC, wait 10-15mins. Then clean up, confining the waste to a sealed glass jar (plastic will let Hg vapor through). Wash up and leave the room to air out, without heat or AC for several hours. It's more fun if you break it on carpet; you're supposed to leave the room with the windows open for several hours the next few times you vacuum.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL: Detailed Recommendations | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

My felines knock lamps over so often I'm dreading the change. I get enough Hg exposure from decades worth of broken thermometers in labs.
OMG!! I never heard about this! i hate the new light bulbs because they seem to break so easily. i used to keep one right by my bed...and knocked it over all the time. i just tossed the pieces into the nearby trashcan, never opened the windows because of the heat/cold depending on the weather....then went to sleep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Wow, breaking one is pretty serious business.

My mom was a school nurse back in the day and had a broken thermometer in a basket. I played with that mercury for hours...all school year!!
you sure made your mercury last a long time! i could only play with mine for about 3 minutes before it jumped outta muh hands and hurried down the kitchen drain. but my hands still had itty bitty silver matter smeared on them.

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
"Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
"I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
"Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
"Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**
APACHEFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook