View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Midnight Starfire
Women's Traditional

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Midnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Starfire has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Choices...choices...choices....!

"Never be wasteful" is what my grandmother taught me. So when I was gifted with skins that were smoked and chocolate brown, I made my regalia out of those. I made fringed skirts from the skins but used broadcloth to make my tops (heat being an issue at this age - lol). I added long fringe to the sleeves of the tops matching the skirts.

When it comes to totally different colors (skins that have been dyed) I do own a full, 2 piece outfit that is a steel blue color. When I saw it, it reminded me of the sky on a rainy day and it "called" to me. I couldn't resist. Though it is not a "natural" color, it is quite lovely and others have said the same about it.

It is rare that I see women in white/cream buckskin at the wacipi I go to here. I think the white and cream are quite striking and yes, they are quite pricey. I have, however, saved and saved, and in honor of an anniversary for my son and I dancing together, I have finally had a white buckskin dress made. I absolutely love it ! My plan is to only wear it to very special wacipi.

I love all my dresses, white and otherwise. I think, for me anyway, it's about how I feel when I wear them. They feel "right" and I feel I am honoring myself and my ancestors when I dance in them.
Midnight Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook