View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
standnbear
gourd dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
standnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond reputestandnbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Those that don't dance with the beat they are on there own beat!

Dance with the beat of the song
When I first started gourd dancing, I was a little hesitant in my movement but I have always been able to keep beat with the drum. Not being raised in a native environment, I felt intimidated around the other dancers. Not wanting to embarrass myself or my family, I tried not to draw attention to myself. I have been dancing now for 20 years now feel I am doing a good job of it and sometimes I fee the need to get up close to the drum and feel every beat in my soul, or stay in a small area. I enjoy every song and every dance. Im not a show off, I dont try to out do anyone else, I dance to honor our ancestors. I dance to honor our culture. I dance so our past as a proud people will not be forgotten.
That which is funny to others may be simply be a disabled person doing the best he or she can do with what they are given. I have a bad knee, torn ACL and MCL, some times it causes me to stumble and loose step. I mean no disrespect by it, it just happens. I dont let it slow me down, I recover, get back on beat and dance my heart out. A ho

Last edited by standnbear; 05-08-2012 at 11:15 AM..
standnbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook