View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by standnbear View Post
When I first started gourd dancing, I was a little hesitant in my movement but I have always been able to keep beat with the drum. Not being raised in a native environment, I felt intimidated around the other dancers. Not wanting to embarrass myself or my family, I tried not to draw attention to myself. I have been dancing now for 20 years now feel I am doing a good job of it and sometimes I fee the need to get up close to the drum and feel every beat in my soul, or stay in a small area. I enjoy every song and every dance. Im not a show off, I dont try to out do anyone else, I dance to honor our ancestors. I dance to honor our culture. I dance so our past as a proud people will not be forgotten.
That which is funny to others may be simply be a disabled person doing the best he or she can do with what they are given. I have a bad knee, torn ACL and MCL, some times it causes me to stumble and loose step. I mean no disrespect by it, it just happens. I dont let it slow me down, I recover, get back on beat and dance my heart out. A ho
Gourd dancing is a highly personal dance, Its not for the spectators nor the other dancers its for you.
The songs are very powerfull and for a time can take away your pain and life's issues. You forget its hot and that your tired all of those go away when you are dancing.
So for some they like to just stand and barely move, singing along with the singers.
Others like to move around getting those blessings in the arena...
Still others dance for those that can't dance any longer.

But the most special time is when the song is particular powerfull you will see some bounce off the ground both feet not touching the ground and war whoops all around you making your heart soar with the song!! But that is usually down in Gourd Dance Country in around Carnegie Oklahoma July 2nd 3rd and 4th... Those are special days!!!
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook