View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
RestlessN8iv
Agent of Chaos

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
LOL @ The Soda Ban... it doesn't ban people from refills or buying additional soft drinks.

I think there is merit in the ban though as it does make people think about the fact they are drinking large sums of sugary soda. Our bodies will recognize the sugar but our brain's system for recognizing hunger is not satisfied with liquid calories. People then tend to drink a lot of soda without realizing that they are consuming anywhere between 30 and 100 grams of sugar. We then wonder why there are so many obese, overweight, and diabetic people in this country, granted some are just genetically programmed that way or have glandular problems.
One word: Cigarettes
There are myriad anti/quit smoking campaigns in the country right now coupled with comically high taxes, and the fact that every pack comes with a warning label that basically reads "These things will effing kill you!" By that logic, by now there should be no more smokers. But people ignore the health risks, pay the ridiculous price and continue to kill themselves. I should know, I smoke a pack a day.

You cannot legislate someone's habits. It is not feasible. Even if it were, it would not be ethical.It's not about what is or isn't healthy. It's about the government prying into the private lives of its citizens.

I Think C.S. Lewis put it best:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
- Me
RestlessN8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook