View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
milehighsalute
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEROSAGE View Post
I feel that I need to say that our young Dine friend(SDinAZ) and I chatted by PM. I feel certain that he should be allowed and is quite able to dance within our Ilonshkas and other straight dances.

I do also agree that we shouldn't need to defend ourselves and re-define our resumes each time we make a statement. Many times we may not type exactly what we are meaning to say, or may be misunderstood, or some-one may disagree.

I would feel comfortable to dance with this young man and his Inlaws. We shouldn't condem those we don't know nor understand just because they aren't of our particular Tribe or Village. We need to be more of a family, chastise with love if necessary. Be more helpful to those asking/reaching out for our help.

I'll get off the soap box, Thanks to our Friends!!!!!!!
old old OLD thread i know....but i want to say when i was a kid i danced with another southern straight kid named durwin teller...a NAVAJO and i was taught how to straight dance by another navajo named butch oliver........thier regalia utilized alot of wool as did my own....other than the belts hardly any leather at all save sw style moccasins....
ALSO
i am not of a "pow-wow" tribe and i straight danced and plan to do start again.....i am TAOS pueblo with a smattering southern ute of other pueblos and also have a bit of jicarilla in the woodpile fom the valley chicano part of my family....but i will just focus on taos which i affiliate with...my grandfather told me that some bands of kiowa were forcd to live in taos for a bit so they were tight ever since, not to mention our tribe was the trading hub of the southwest and there was much contact with kiowa, comanches, apache and navajo amongst other tribes.....and taos pueblo has ceremonial dances but have permission "adapt" southern straight from the other tribes....that being said i was initiated/blessed into southern straight by John Emhoolah and when i was a boy i was helped out by the Alley brothers (rip Mike) and Fred Stans amongst others who are well respected in southern plains tribes........my grandfather told me that the initiation was something that NO ONE can ever take away from me...especially because it was performed by a good friend who is still held in high esteem here in denver.....i will pose a new question but its getting late and ill post tommorow or sometime this week......thank you
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook