View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #799
Zeke
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
What I find quite strange is that for the longest time, the gourd dance was commonly referred to as the Warrior/veteran's dance. The two groups were tied together. Now, while it may have been a co-incidence that most of the men that danced the gourd were also military members and veterans, the notion that it was a vet's dance stuck around as part of the lore.
And that's the part you can't control.

I realize that some folks believe I am just being an a-s-s about this sort of thing. I assure you, I am not and -- in general -- am about as dispassionate about stuff like this as you can find. I just FIRMLY believe that if we took someone from antiquity when the Gourd Dance (or any other dance!) originated, brought them here, sang the songs and said, "look, the Gourd Dance!," they'd think us crazy. One hundred (or less) years from now? WE would be the ones unable to recognize what things have become.

1. Some people are threatened by that.
2. Some folks are not.

The question isn't whether women will Gourd Dance (they will) or when other things across tribes will change (they have). The question is how fast things will change because, inherently, we ALL know it will occur with or without our interference.

Given that, why all the drama? Women are going to Gourd Dance. The pat retort will be, "that's NOT the Gourd Dance." Sorry. The Gourd Dance is whatever the people who do it say it is. (It's definitional.) We can debate whether that is good, bad or neither, but the issue of whether it is public domain is long since over.

To the masses, pan-Indianism is Indianism.