View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #800
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
And that's the part you can't control.

I realize that some folks believe I am just being an a-s-s about this sort of thing. I assure you, I am not and -- in general -- am about as dispassionate about stuff like this as you can find. I just FIRMLY believe that if we took someone from antiquity when the Gourd Dance (or any other dance!) originated, brought them here, sang the songs and said, "look, the Gourd Dance!," they'd think us crazy. One hundred (or less) years from now? WE would be the ones unable to recognize what things have become.

1. Some people are threatened by that.
2. Some folks are not.

The question isn't whether women will Gourd Dance (they will) or when other things across tribes will change (they have). The question is how fast things will change because, inherently, we ALL know it will occur with or without our interference.

Given that, why all the drama? Women are going to Gourd Dance. The pat retort will be, "that's NOT the Gourd Dance." Sorry. The Gourd Dance is whatever the people who do it say it is. (It's definitional.) We can debate whether that is good, bad or neither, but the issue of whether it is public domain is long since over.

To the masses, pan-Indianism is Indianism.
But that IS the Point ZEKE
Who defines the Dance?
Those that Dance

Gourd Dance is a Man's Dance
Every Year Down around Carnegie Oklahoma it is Celebrated as a Man's Dance thus it is redefined

So one could argue that in Carnegie Oklahoma everyyear it is REAFIRMED as a Man's Dance

To Argue that a woman may at sometime somewhere pick up a Gourd and dance is Moot

Because in Carnegie it dont happen