Thread: 1/64 indian?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #57
Locus Solus
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Locus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond reputeLocus Solus has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Actually...
Since there is no MINIMUM Blood Quantum that is moot, another point there is no longer enrollees in the Cherokee Nation the Rolls were closed in 1907, So a person is establishing a direct decendant to an "Enrollee". My Grandmother for instance was born Nov 1907 she is not an enrollee but was a citizen of the tribe because we go back a generation to her parents who were along with her older brother and sisters all Fullbloods.
As for Blood Quantum its only the BIA that requires a minimum for "Services" read Education in that word.

My wife works for Absentee Shawnee Clinic and they give services to anyone that has a Tribal Card (Federal), I dont know if that is true at all IHS but I have heard it so but I am sure there will be a few that dont...

I always find it fascinating that when people bring up Minimum blood Quantums they always bring up the Cherokee Nation as someone could be 1/100,000 or something like that. Not that I am angery about that it just seems so... By the Way there are 3 Federal Cherokee tribes each requiring different criteria for citizenship EBCI is 1/16th and UKB is 1/4.

Here are the tribes that currently do not require a Minimum Blood Quantum:

Alabama-Quassarte Tribal Town
Cherokee Nation
Chickasaw Nation
Choctaw Nation
Citizen Potawatomi Nation
Delaware Tribe of Indians
Eastern Shawnee Tribe
Mashantucket Pequot Tribe of Connecticut
Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe of Massachusetts
Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
Modoc Tribe
Muscogee Creek Nation
Osage Nation
Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma
Peoria Tribe of Indians
Quapaw Tribe of Oklahoma
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan
Seminole Nation
Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma
Shawnee Tribe
Thlopthlocco Tribal Town
Tonkawa Tribe
Wyandotte Nation
I'd kind of like to know what it is regarding the blood quantum minimum that would lead a tribal government to their criteria. Is it:
-Sheer Numbers
-Tribal history, movement, and locale (How different is a California Chahta today from an Okla Chahta at the turn of the century from a Mississippi Chahta who Decided to stay back?)
-Likelihood of earlier or more established "mixed blood"
-Having more or less to offer any given # of members
-Sense of honor and pride
-degree of assimilation in any certain direction or the relation the tribes had with the other various people flooding across the continents? Does it vary from tribe to tribe with guidelines set forth by a given Tribal Council in line with consensus of the Tribal Populace?
Or, in one sentence-Why would Choctaw or Cherokee enrollment be so much of a different thing from from Tonkawa, or Tlingit, or Couer D'Alene?
One of the things I find so fascinating about all this is that yes, I may already be 5 generations separated from the first verifiable proof of my Native Genes, but 5 generations is a drop in the bucket from the first people to cross the land bridge over into Alaska.
Locus Solus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook