Thread: Hopi Prophecies
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #53
milehighsalute
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I'm not Hopi but I've learned a few things over the years.

1) The dominant culture understandings of intellectual property and cultural patrimony are very different from those of all the Native peoples I know. We tend to have different modes of sharing and transmission of knowledge. There is some knowledge that cannot be shared with the unauthorized without physical and metaphysical consequences. Therefore Pueblo people don't share the secrets of their religious orders.

2) It's hard to cite oral tradition and traditional teaching to the satisfaction of the dominant culture. They place great import on the printed word and grant it authority over the spoken. The upshot of which is any lies printed about us are believed before we are.

3) All you have to do is look at what happened to the Pueblo people when they met up with the Spanish Inquisition in the form of the Spanish missionaries. The terrible aftermath should be reason enough for them to be unwilling to share, without invoking indigenous ethics. Any outsider who says they have intimate knowledge of Pueblo religion is telling tales.

4) I have never encountered a Native culture which provides a path to conversion or seeks converts. The missionary impulse is by and large absent from traditional religions. So, any system which creates an integrative practice or mythology is suspect.

Sorry, no footnotes. Just one Native, scientist woman's 47's years of life speaking :)
thank you....here is an old discussion that kinda backs up what you say......pueblo's are VERY private and whoever told told smooth operator this BS is making stuff up.....but so what else is new huh?
anyways i re-read this and he seems to also think thant maybe sinc he is not white he cannot be a victim of twinkie'ism? well.....i get the feeling he is black.......so the only difference is that he is a chocodile
but i really did try to help him out....he didnt want to see that bbecause he was felt someone OWED him answers to our religion (which i maintain is NOT intended for him or any other non-pueblo) he would take ANY explanation other than mine........but im beating a dead horse here........i just thought this other thread i referenced kind of backed up the general feeling of how pueblos feel about their spirtitual ways being discussed and misrepresented........thanks all for your time
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook