View Single Post
Old 01-08-2002, 12:10 PM   #17
Smokin' Ace
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
It makes me feel good that this thread is still alive - I truly beleive it has opened up a lot of peoples eyes and just made them think. Make no mistake about it - singers sing because they love to sing and they want their people to dance. Seeing a dancer really jam makes a singer sing all the harder. But after singing hard all weekend - having no voice left at all - the singers will accept whatever gift the committee has to offer - just to thank them for singing - a monetary gift is used for travelling back home and eating on the way - and if any extra is made - it is placed in a savings account so that the singers can travel to more pow-wows, enabling more people to experience their sound. It's an ongoing cycle. Back in the day, before my husband and I were married, it didn't matter how much it cost to get us and the group to a pow-wow. If the group didn't have any money saved up, we would take it out of our pockets. No biggie. But this caused way too much confusion.

We don't do this anymore. We have a family now - if the group doesn't have money saved, we don't travel. Real simple. Which is real hard - when you are used to pow-wowing all the time and you know what you are doing is good - you want to continue - but you have to be able to provide for your family, first and foremost. It's just plain economics.

And I, like many others on this thread, have seen drums treated like red headed step children. But that hasn't stopped anyone from singing - just makes you pick and choose your pow-wows more selectively.
Smokin' Ace is offline   Share with Facebook